Remember I talked about the dresser I had always wanted? Well, phase 1 is now sitting in my living room! Yes, a trip to the charity shop again (I practically live there) and lo and behold what did I find but this .......
It had my name stamped all over it and kept calling to me to purchase it. I have to admit, it took some convincing my husband that yes it would sit perfectly the other side of the fireplace and I would shabby it along quite beautifully thank you, so within hours it was ours. Now hold onto your hats, this is what I paid for it...... a mere £50!! (plus £5 for delivery.) I'm crowing with sheer pleasure as I gaze upon it these few days past. But that's as far as I have come, simply looking at it, placing one or two objects on it, stepping back, allowing it to catch my eye as I enter the room (which still makes me grin.), and just plain look at it. You see, I am waiting for it to speak to me. I know I want to paint it but I don't know what colour yet and it hasn't told me either. I'm actually toying with a very pale peachy pink or a pinky cream or even a very pale duck egg blue. It will be 'distressed' eventually too and all the handles will be replaced but in the meantime it sits there grinning at me as I grin back at it. This has really been a cool month!
And now for something I totally screwed up! I bought 3 odd matching chairs for about £3 each, again from a charity shop and they all looked the same shape but of course were all the wrong colour wood so I decided to use some spare fabric I had to hand. True to form, I did no forward planning and didn't think about matching the design repeat.. in this case a large check. Spot the deliberate mistake......
You can see clearly where I didn't match up the material. I only had enough to make two chairs and the last chair will be covered with a plain cream.
I measured from the floor (allowing for hem), up behind the back of the chair over and down and across the seat, adding a seam allowance. This made one long piece and the two side panels were measured from the seat again to the floor. Using an old white sheet I cut out the pieces needed and pinned everything together, fitting each pinned piece over the chair and making necessary adjustments. As the chairs each have a flowered fabric cushion on the seat it isn't that obvious to tell that the slip covers were badly matched. My mother would notice and I know it, and you know now! Ho hum! The point is when I can next afford another chair to make a complete set of four I shall save again for fabric to cover them all. This time I shall allow for pattern repeats! Lesson learned :)
Ce componente diverse de laptop gasesti in magazine
4 months ago