Monday 1 February 2010

And now for something else.


I decided to take the bull by the horns and create a blog for those of us with few funds who wish to attempt that thrown together shabby-cottagey-chic-eclectic look. I often come across wonderful images in those house and cottage/period home/garden and country/style and living magazines that I browse through in my local newsagents and wish I had the odd £750 to afford that distressed looking pine dresser which would go so very well in my custom built kitchen, if I had a larger kitchen, in a bigger Georgian 'cottage', situated in a picturesque village, near a running brook, beside an ancient woodland, in some forever green county, (personal preference would be the west country somewhere, but then I was born in Devon so am a dumpling through and through),.... yes well, I actually live in a rented 2 bed bungalow in a cul-de-sac in the city of Lincoln. But that doesn't mean I cannot dream or indeed that I cannot attempt to recreate in some smaller and very much cheaper way, the very look I am told is very much designer chic these days. I'm not one for trends I hasten to add and though I don't really know my style, like many I do know what I like.




At the moment I am making a patchwork throw for an old chair that definitely needs to be replaced sometime soon, but having been inspired by a certain
site that re-upholsters old furniture, I have been attempting to re-create the look within my own interpretation and on a shoe string. So as I progress with all future projects I shall take photographs of my successes and my failures. I am reminded of a time when my husband and mother were both out shopping with me. My mother was becoming somewhat impatient because I was holding up a lampshade and turning it to view it from every angle and trying to decide how I could turn it into a shabby chic affair. 'This is all a creative process' my husband whispered to my mother, 'She needs to process all the information and knowledge in her head and eventually maybe today, maybe tomorrow maybe even next week, she will decide that this is in fact what she wants and that she does or does not have the necessary objects or materials to turn it into something else, or even which room it may or may not end up in. Either way, I NEVER interfere in the creative process' With that he stood aside and let the process run its course.
(I did buy the shade as it happens, it ended up somewhere else entirely and has yet to be 'shabbied', but more of that at a later date.)

I suppose this will turn into some sort of portfolio for I have design ideas of my own of course as well as variations on an original theme. So here goes, as the title says 'and now for something else....'



No comments:

Post a Comment